Backtracking is the act of using an item, a maze mechanic or some other means to go back to a floor you have already visited. This act allows you to clear the floors again, allowing you to gain more EP, equipment, scrolls and maze items without raising the difficulty. This effectively helps you go deeper in your maze run.
Backtracking is necessary for certain DP quests and for some Hidden Gumballs.
The most common source of backtrack is via the Portal of Earth scroll. You can get at most 2 scrolls, 1 from going through the maze, and 1 from learning the Planar Prophet title. All the other sources of backtracking are also limited, most of them being limited to 1x per run.
Mazes that have an in-maze backtrack mechanic:
- Bracada College: With GoT, can find Creepy Paper, 20 floors
- Card Wonderland: Magic Boy as main can obtain a Limited Edition Broom, 15 floors
- Chaos Abyss: Can sacrifice Chaos Drives at the Entropy Ship, between 3 and 20 floors
- Cloud Island: Can send Weiss to dig up a Time Capsule at the Cherry Tree, 10 floors
- Desert Oasis: Can wish for a Magic Carpet, 30 floors
- Dracula's Castle: Can cast Back in time with Confinement Cage, up to 5 floors but can be done up to 12 times.
- Eden's Land: Can go back in time with Confinement Cage (Eden's Land), 3 floors per use. Can be done up to 4 times.
- Erathia: Can find an Opticus (Brown), which casts a Portal of Earth
- Gods' Chessboard: With God of Thieves, can find Aeroplane Chess, 20 floors
- Hell Frontier: Can activate Hell Portal, at most 20 floors
- Saint's Tower: Can obtain Limited Edition Broom from shop, 15 floors
- Sdorica: The Runic Post-Chaise carriage appears (?) and can backtrack 15 floors for 30 Soul Energy
Gumballs that have items that backtrack:
- Aoluwei's Blade
- Canas' Enlightenment (both are mutually exclusive)
- Ranger's Song
- Abyss' Roar
All items (19)